Specialised Toolkit: Pharmacy
The toolkit for effective outsourcing to pharmacies
This specialised outsourcing toolkit will help with outsourcing the distribution of medicines to pharmacies and other pick-up points.
Download this toolkit in the following languages:
In this toolkit, you will learn:
- How this toolkit can support public health
- The role of a retail pharmacy distribution model
- Three examples of retail pharmacy distribution models
- Outsourcing Process Steps for retail pharmacy distribution
- The Enabler Tools to support retail pharmacy outsourcing
Who is this toolkit for?
This toolkit forms part of the broader OSTK.
This toolkit applies the OSTK framework to a pharmacy setting and is intended as a resource for those in the public sector considering outsourcing medication distribution (including antiretrovirals) through retail or private sector pharmacies and other alternative pick-up points. It is a repository of tools, models, guides, and practices that can inform a country’s assessment, design and evaluation of distribution models and the subsequent implementation and management of that chosen retail pharmacy model. The toolkit provides examples of outsourced distribution through pharmacies in five African countries. The toolkit is designed for use by government departments and partners, for example:
- Ministry of Health senior management
- Ministry of Health Heads of health programmes
- District/Regional Health Officers
- Donors and Implementing Partners
- Central Medical Stores Management
- Community-Based Organisations
Why develop a toolkit for retail pharmacy distribution?
The toolkit is a specific guide and reference document supporting users seeking to explore medicine distribution through retail or private sector pharmacies. It provides steps, processes, practices, and tools to support the ministry of health and other organisations as an easy-to-use and credible set of resources. The toolkit identifies lessons, approaches and practices from African countries that leverage pharmacies to strengthen healthcare delivery.
This toolkit will guide you through
About | Framework | Pharmacy toolkit | Laboratory services toolkit | Tool Index | Acknowledgements | Contact