Process Step 2:
The toolkit for effective outsourcing to pharmacies
In this section, you will learn:
- How to identify relevant retail pharmacy distribution models
- How to design a retail pharmacy drug distribution model specific to your country
- How to develop an investment case to examine the costs and benefits of implementing the retail pharmacy model
The outcomes and benefits of this Process Step include:
- Reviews of relevant and applicable good practice operating models from which to draw lessons learnt.
- A tailored solution for in-country distribution of medicine through retail pharmacy channels.
- Defined expected outcomes of the model and an analysis of potential benefits and costs for outsourcing to pharmacies.
It is suggested that this section be read in consultation with Policy, Advocacy and Governance and Technology.
Summary of Evaluate
The second Process Step, Evaluate, begins by understanding the policies and guidelines for outsourcing to pharmacies in your country. In this Process Step, you have learnt how to identify relevant retail pharmacy distribution models. Once you have this information, you can design a retail pharmacy drug distribution model specific to your country. Finally, you can develop an investment case to examine the costs and benefits of implementing the retail pharmacy model. With a model selected, the third Process Step, Contract, will focus on selecting and prioritising pharmacies as alternative outsourced partners for distributing medicines to patients.