Process Step 1:
The toolkit for outsourcing laboratory services
In this section, you will learn:
- The tasks and benefits of the laboratory network optimisation process
- The three tasks to conduct a successful assessment of laboratory services for outsourcing opportunities
- How to analyse key performance indicators for an optimised laboratory network
Assess is a critical Process Step to develop a sound view of existing network performance for the Diagnostic Network Optimisation approach.
The tasks and benefits of the laboratory network optimisation process
Five tasks required in the laboratories network optimisation process
- Initiate stakeholder engagement, data collection, and data validation procedure.
- Baseline mapping of the laboratory network and referral system.
- Identification and alignment to national demand and targets, current testing capacity, and current utilisation rates.
- Development of scenarios based on the current state and future state.
- Analysis of laboratory instruments to determine if placed “appropriately” to meet current and future needs.
Five benefits for conducting a laboratory network optimisation process
- Builds alignment of stakeholders around the current laboratory network and approach.
- Identifies current and future needs for laboratory testing.
- Creates virtual piloting opportunities for various network scenarios.
- Assists in efficiently balancing workloads across testing laboratories.
- Building a more cost-efficient laboratory testing network: higher utilisation rates and lower operational costs.
There are three tasks to conduct a successful assessment of laboratory services for outsourcing opportunities:
Summary of Assess
The first Process Step, Assess, assists you to understand the status of your supply chain and assess what gaps or opportunities exist for outsourcing. It is necessary first to develop a baseline understanding of the testing network using Diagnostic Network Optimisation. Once this is completed, you can analyse key performance indicators for an optimised laboratory network. Finally, in Assess, you have learned how to consolidate Diagnostic Network Optimisation data into an assessment report and disseminate it among stakeholders. In the second Process Step, Evaluate, you will learn how to conduct an evaluation and vendor assessment.